Monday, March 9

WHY MENTOR OTHER ECES?

Five minutes with Tricia Kassotis – On the importance of mentoring.
Mentoring with OCISO (Ottawa Community Immigration Services Organization)


HOW DID YOU START MENTORING?

I decided to start mentoring after I read that OCISO needed someone to mentor new Canadians who wanted to go into the child care profession. 

I realized I could help another ECE because I've been in the field for 20 years in various capacities: On the floor ECE, assistant supervisor, supervisor, director, college teacher and TESL teacher.  I figured I could offer someone else some guidance in a few settings.

WHY DO YOU THINK ECES SHOULD MENTOR ?

I think mentoring really adds to a person's career because as the saying goes, when one teaches two learn, and it's really true.  I have unlocked many new about myself and the ECE field by mentoring.  I have discovered new programs that I never knew existed!

I also developed a new appreciation on the importance of networking in order to discover new opportunities.

WHAT HAS MENTORING TAUGHT YOU?

I have found that there are so many ways to use your ECE that graduates probably never think about.  I have learned that people shouldn't think of their education to be used in only one capacity.  The things you learn about children, child development and child care in your ECE studies is beneficial in a lot more ways, to a lot more people and businesses than you think.

HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT MENTORING?

Generally, I find that mentees just need guidance in getting focused on what they need to do in order to work in child care in Ontario.  So we assess their previous education and work experience, then decide how they'll go about getting their ECE, or registration with The College.  Then we work on applying for jobs. 

WHERE ARE YOUR MENTEES NOW?


Some are in the ECE program at Algonquin, and some are working in centres or schools.  Once the mentee is either in school or employed, depending on their goal, our official mentor/mentee relationship is complete, though we still keep in touch. 

That's the best part really, meeting new people and seeing how things worked out.

_______________________________