WHAT IS THE ONTARIO ELECT DOCUMENT? Early Learning for Every Child Today.
ELECT STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES:
- Early child development sets the foundation for lifelong learning, behavior and health.
- Partnerships with families and communities strengthen the ability of early childhood settings to meet the needs of young children.
- Respect for diversity, equity and inclusion are prerequisites for honouring children's rights, optimal development and learning.
- A planned curriculum supports early learning.
- Play is a means to early learning that capitalizes on children's natural curiosity and exuberance.
- Knowledgeable, responsive early childhood professionals are essential.
WHY IS PLAY IMPORTANT?PLAY is a means to early learning that capitalizes on children's natural curiosity and exuberance.
New learning and skills build upon development changes. Understanding how children develop enables ECEs to provide programming to address each stage of development.
WHY DO ECES DO SO MANY OBSERVATIONS?
Observation teaches ECEs where children are on the developmental scales so programming is meaningful and will inspire the child to the next level.