Wednesday, July 9

MASTER LEVEL ECE STUDENT PLACEMENT THOUGHTS


FIVE MINUTES WITH:  Corrie 
ECE Master level student, Algonquin College Ottawa.
 

SO TELL US, WHAT WERE:
 


*   SOME RESOURCES YOU BROUGHT INTO THE PROGRAM?  
Books, along with homemade sock puppets. Coloured rice for a sensory bin. Ingredients to make homemade play dough and paint. Counting beads/strings.
 
 
 *   SOME ACTIVITIES YOU IMPLEMENTED OR TOOK OVER FROM THE TEACHER?

 
I was able to implement physical education periods, snack/breakfast club time, lunch periods, recess or outdoor play time, circle periods; in which I read stories, ask questions, etc.

*   SOME ACTIVITIES OR ART YOU CREATED WITH THE CHILDREN?  

We created Easter banners, Christmas ornaments, an Easter themed tree, play dough, construction paper/felt flowers.
 
 
 *   WHEN DID YOU FIND WAS THE BEST TIME TO COMPLETE YOUR PLACEMENT ASSIGNMENTS?  

I usually completed paper work and my competency manual requirement after hours or during shared prep time. I would complete my activities usually during free exploration/play time because it was when the other teachers/educators did not have activities planned.
 
 

 *   WHAT SUGGESTIONS WOULD YOU MAKE FOR STUDENTS GETTING READY TO DO THEIR PLACEMENT THIS SUMMER?  
 
Do not stress! In the end everything will fall into place. Don't be afraid to be silly and open up with the children. I also think that it is important to keep up with paper work, stay organized and plan activities/resources ahead of time.
 
 
 *   IF THERE WAS ONE THING YOU COULD DO OVER ON PLACEMENT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
 
I would not stress out about finding a placement as much as I did. Everything ended up falling into place. I would also spend more time enjoying every minute of each placement, since they go by so fast!
 
 
 *   IF THERE WAS SOMETHING YOU WOULD DO AGAIN AND AGAIN ON PLACEMENT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
 
I would do circle time! I loved implementing circle time and spending time interacting with the children. I loved to teach them as a group and having them express themselves and their knowledge through open-ended questions/discussions.