The earlier you start reading to children the greater the benefits
· Children who are read to before entering school are more likely to succeed in school.
· Even before babies can talk, they benefit from looking at books and being read to.
Children Learn Through Shared Reading
· VOCABULARY: children are presented with words not typical to everyday language
· READING COMPREHENSION: strategies such as asking questions, rereading parts of the story, summarizing, making predictions
· FLUENCY: reading aloud encourages listening
INTERACTIVE READING is a technique that involves multiple readings and conversations about books. It is most useful in small-group settings
· Encourage children to interrupt the story to ask questions and have conversation about the story. This will help children realize that books have meaning. It will also help them figure out what the meaning is.