- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup of salt (a little more if you use kosher)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil*
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves)
- optional: food coloring or natural food based dyes (such as beet juice and turmeric)
- Combine all ingredients (except coloring) in a large pot.
- Stir over medium heat until a big ball forms. (It should be smooth and no longer sticky.)
- Remove from pot and allow to cool until the dough can be worked by hand.
- Divide the dough into however many different colors you want.
- Work the colors into the dough by adding a few drops at a time and kneading. (We used food coloring for red, yellow, and orange and left one brown. Similar colors could be achieved with natural juices: beet, carrot, turmeric.)
* Coconut oil is the secret ingredient. It makes the best play dough ever. If you haven't tried it. Do. It's highly recommend it.